When it comes to premium Smartwatches, the Apple Watch undoubtedly stands top in the list and it is for obvious reasons like the brand name, built quality and advanced features.
And, when the Apple Watch is paired with an iPhone, you can unleash many more features and even customize the watch faces depending on your mood.
There are a couple of methods to pair or unpair your Apple Watch with an iPhone such as:
- Pairing: If you’ve purchased a new Apple Watch and wanted to pair it with your Apple iPhone
- UnPair: Upgraded to the latest iPhone version and wanted to unpair it on your old iPhone.
So, in this article, let us discuss both the methods in detail.
How to Unpair the Apple Watch with Your Old iPhone?
This is needed in case if you bought a new iPhone variant and want to set up your Apple Watch with the new one instead.
- Open the Watch App on your iPhone & Tap on your Watch name.
- Then, tap on the ⓘ icon.
- Next, tap on ‘Unpair Apple Watch‘ and confirm the same in the next screen.
- You’ll be asked to enter your Apple ID Password in order to unpair the watch from the phone.
- Enter the password and tap ‘Unpair‘ option found on the top-right section.
That’s all! Your iPhone will take backup of all the data from your Apple Watch and store it in the cloud securely.
You can now pair your new Watch and sell the old one to someone.
How to Pair a new Apple Watch with Your iPhone?
You can pair your brand new Apple Watch with your old/new iPhone easily using this process. This process works on all the iPhone models.
If you’ve unpaired with Apple Watch with your old iPhone and wanted to pair it with a new iPhone, then you’ll need to follow a few pre-setup steps.
- Backup your old iPhone so that your old data can be transferred to your new iPhone without any hiccups.
- Restore your iCloud or iTunes Backup on your new iPhone to bring back all the old settings.
If you’re pairing your Apple Watch with your iPhone for the first time, then the above steps are not needed. You can directly go for the below pairing process.
Method 1: Pair Apple Watch with iPhone Automatically
This method is recommended by Apple itself as it is the most easiest way of setting up an Apple Watch.
- Turn on your brand new (or unpaired) Apple Watch (press & hold the side button until you see the logo of Apple).
- Keep your Apple Watch near your iPhone.
- Your iPhone will then show you a popup that it found a new device. Tap on ‘Continue‘.
- You’ll now see an animation on your Apple Watch. Scan it using your iPhone.
- Tap on ‘Restore from Backup‘ if it is an old watch that you’re pairing, else tap on ‘Set Up as new Apple Watch‘.
- Follow the instructions as it is.
That’s it! Your Apple Watch has now been paired with your iPhone automatically.
Method 2: Pair Apple Watch with iPhone Manually
There may be a few situations when the automatic pairing doesn’t work on your iPhone and in such cases, you can follow this manual Apple Watch setup guide.
- On your Apple Watch, tap on the ⓘ icon and it will show the name of your watch. Inside it, you’ll see the 6 digit code.
- Now, on your iPhone, open the Watch App and tap on name and enter the 6 digit code that you see on the watch (from step 1).
- On the next screen, you can choose whether to restore the backup or set up your Apple Watch as new.
- The other steps are same as the automatic setup. Just follow the on-screen instructions and you’re good to go.
That’s the end of the tutorial friends! In most cases, the automatic pairing method works perfectly fine with your Apple Watch.
However, if you had issues with the automatic Watch setup on your iPhone, you may follow the manual method instead and easily pair your Apple Watch.